Southwest Minor Hockey Association
Parental Code of Conduct
- Do not force an unwilling child to participate in sports.
- Remember! Children are involved in organized sports for their enjoyment, not yours.
- Encourage your child to always play by the rules.
- Teach your child that honest effort is more important than victory, so that the results of the game are accepted without undue disappointment.
- Turn defeat into victory by helping your child towards skill development and good sportsmanship. Never ridicule or yell at your child for making a mistake or losing a competition.
- Remember! Children learn best by example. Applaud good plays by your team and by members of the opposing team.
- Do not publicly question official's judgment and never their honesty,
- Support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from your children's sporting activities.
- Recognize the value and importance of volunteer coaches. They give their time and resources to provide recreational activities for your child.
- Set an example by supporting and respecting your child's coach. If problems arise communicate them on an individual basis. Public comments are not appropriate.